Thursday, December 30

Trot, trot, trot to Boston

There's a song that Bernard sings to a little friend of his while bouncing her on his knee. It goes, "Trot, trot to Boston, trot, trot to sea, trot, trot to harbor, trot, trot off my knee!" (as you pretend to make the child fall off your leg). Well, yesterday was the day that Bernard and I made our "trot trot to Boston". It was a make-up day for our snowed-out Christmas celebration on Monday.
We started out by grabbing some Dunkin Donuts coffees for the road after getting some gas. I have to say that after spending the summer in MA, Dunkin Donuts has become one of my favorite coffee chains . . . not necessarily because I think it's one of the best (though I do like it) but because it's a link back to Bernard - even when we're 13 hours apart.

The next part of the trip involved exploring Boston in the midst of the cold. It was super fun to walk around and see different sites as well as to just be outside for a while. The bike on the right is actually a metal piece in the middle of the city... too fun to resist a picture on.
We went to Faneuil Hall for lunch and saw some people ice sculptures in the making. The biggest surprise of the day though was when Bernard took me to the Wang Theater in order to see a "movie". I was convinced that we were really going to see "The Nutcracker" until right before the show and he handed me a playbill for "The Spectacular Christmas Show" put on by the Rockettes. It was a great show with a surprising 12th act when the Rockettes broke-out by telling the Biblical story of Christmas including readings from Luke 2 and Isaiah 9. I have to admit that that was super surprising to me. The Wang Theater itself was absolutely beautiful. It was definitely the most ornate theater I've ever been in. During the intermission, Bernard and I walked down to one of the balconies and just marveled at the intricacies of the theater.





After the show was a carriage ride - pulled by a bicyclist rather than a horse and then dinner in the Prudential Mall. We had a great time together trotting around Boston on our super special, super fun Christmas date.

3 comments:

  1. Mom and I just read this together! What a fun date! Great planning, Bernard! So glad you had a wonderful time, albeit delayed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Thanks for sharing. Sarah and I took turns reading it to each other; it sure sounds like it was well-worth the wait! What nice surprises, Bernard -- Joanna absolutely loves those! :)

    Love,
    mom/shery

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to BErnard for a well planned / thoughtful day-O-fun & memories!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete