I usually get a little nervous when I use words like "typical" because I'm never really sure what counts as "typical" for my life. But, putting that analytical thinking aside, I thought that this week, I should blog about what my life looks like during a "typical" (ah - there it is again!:) week in MA.
Work happens between the hours of 7:15 AM (when I start my 45 min. commute) and 2 PM (when I arrive home). While at the center, I teach one group of kids English grammar and then switch after 2 hours in order to teach a second group of kids American culture. One of these groups is super fun and easy to work with. The other group? Well, I find them quite high maintenance in that they really have no qualms about talking when someone else is talking - whether it's me or another student. Needless to say, we do a lot of stopping and waiting, which is frustrating, but I'm hoping that over time they'll get as sick of doing that as I already am.... and talk less as a result of their extreme dislike for waiting. I only work four days a week, which is super great. Though I don't get the same day off during the week from week to week, it's nice to have a "Saturday" in the midst of my regular week. My time after I come home consists of a fair amount of planning for the next class period, doing little projects around the house, and hanging out with Bernard. Which brings me to what I normally do in the evenings.
For starters, Bernard and I are very different in the sense that I love schedules and he's more of a "go with it as it comes" type of person. This summer, we've reached a nice compromise in that we keep a flexible and skeletal schedule. Here's what I mean....
On Monday - We go on some kind of date (It was "Toy Story 3" last night! What a great movie! I did cry during parts, but is that really atypical for me to do during any movie?)
Tuesday - We do something active together (So far it's consisted of playing tennis and having to come up with "special" rules for ourselves just so that we can actually play. One rule was, "It can bounce as many times on your side as necessary but if it stops bouncing, the other person gets a point. First person to 11 wins." We're hoping to one day graduate to the real rules.;))
Wednesday - I make him dinner and bring it to the library at WPI. We eat together and then he works on homework for his summer class while I do other things like write letters or label pictures. I love this night! Thus far, the weather's been nice enough that we've been able to stay outside the entire time. It's also great that Bernard isn't a picky eater. The first meal that I made for him was kind of a rough (Eggplant spaghetti), but he ate it like a champ!
Thursday - Bernard goes to class, and I do one of the many projects I brought with me from NC.
Friday - Sunday - Free (We don't want to be overly scheduled here.;))
The schedule is flexible in that we can easily switch Tuesday night activities for Wednesday night activities if needed or completely delete or add something from the schedule, and it's skeletal in the sense that we come up with the specifics as we go along. I'm loving it! It's working well in the sense that we're both able to get the things done that we need and want to while spending quality time with each other.
So, there it is... my "typical" week.;)
No comments:
Post a Comment