The other day, I spent some time thinking about the different things that I enjoy about New England. I love how it's cooler here than it is in NC. (Even though, technically, it is regularly in the 90's.) I love how neighborhoods keep trees and the houses don't look identical to each other. I love the windy roads, the thick foliage, the stone walls, and the hydrangeas in 4/5 out yards. I love that there are Dunkin Donuts approximately every 3 miles. And, I love the hospitality that I've been shown throughout my time here - from people I've just met through work and church to people I've known for almost a year now. But the thing that I love the most about New England, particularly Massachusetts, is that this is where Bernard is. It's been so amazing to get to spend time with him on a daily basis and to learn more about him and our relationship. Here are some things that I've learned.
1. I've learned that Bernard likes background noise when he's trying to concentrate on things. If there isn't already background noise, he likes to create it by drumming his fingers in a really snazzy beat or hitting his legs. He also paces when he's really trying to think.
2. I've learned that Bernard really thinks it's important to open and close my car door. I've adjusted to this one quickly.;)
3. I've learned that in short distances, I can outrace Bernard but in long distances, he has me beat by several strides.
4. I've learned that Bernard is absolutely defenseless once he starts laughing, which could account for the reason why I have a winning thumb war record against him that currently stands at 9/10!
5. I've learned that Bernard is almost always right about the usage of any "big" word or phrase that we're arguing about (onomatopoetic and "Don't be a patsy" just to name a few), but that I'm the champion of common vocabulary like "guinea pig".
6. I've learned that if Bernard could do any job in the world, he would work with sustainable energy because he loves the idea of working with something that lasts.
7. I've learned that Bernard is extremely patient in conversation and will work through misunderstandings in order to understand what I'm trying to say - even if the conversation is about cookie dough.
8. I've learned that Bernard likes to be reminded about things just so that he's sure he's not forgetting something important or something that he said he would do.
9. I've learned that growing up, Bernard would spend hours looking at the clouds and trying to figure out what animal shapes they were in and exactly what action that animal was doing. I've also learned that he still enjoys doing this.
10. I've learned that Bernard knows more about the US Government, its current officials, and current local and world events than I do. This could be because his favorite radio station is NPR.
11. I've learned that Bernard typically drinks a glass of juice for breakfast instead of eating anything.
12. I've learned that he likes kit kats on his ice cream, but that he's also willing to let me order a vanilla cup with hot fudge and heath bar on it for us to share.
13. I've learned he doesn't have the best sense of direction when it comes to new places, but he can remember the address for a place that he's visited twice.
14. I've learned that Bernard likes to play the piano and will spend hours trying to figure out the different hands for a particular hymn that he really wants to learn how to play.
15. I've learned that Bernard turns the radio off when I'm in the car and start talking. (Well, that is if it's talk radio and not music.;))
So, yeah, those are a few things that I've learned. There are more, and, hopefully, there will continue to be lots more, but those are all I'll list for now. It's just been so fun to be around Bernard enough to get to know him better and learn "little" things about him as well as to be on the receiving end in that Bernard also wants to know the little things about me. Oh, the beauty of not being long distance!
Dear Joanna,
ReplyDeleteI like background noise and NPR, too. And I love New England. I hope you can stay in NC, but if you end up there, it will give me a much better excuse to go to New England.
Love,
Charity
You forgot that Bernard laughs like a little kid getting tickled when he watches Mr. Bean. Hilarious.
ReplyDelete