Wednesday, August 4

Special People

I love how in my experiences of traveling to different places in the world, I always meet people, and think, "Wow... how have I gone this long without knowing this person?" Coming to Massachusetts for several weeks was no exception to that experience. Let me introduce you to them and their families in the order that I've met them.
The three guys to the right are a mere sampling of the Doherty clan. This was a family that I knew remotely through their son, Sean, who I go to church with in Raleigh. They were the first family that I met in Mass. last summer, and Bernard claims them as his "American family". The Doherty's are the type of family who strive to be aware of and sensitive to where people are emotionally and then help as needed for as long as needed. They give generously of their time, possessions, and food so that people may have a good place to rest and recharge. I honestly don't think that I've ever been at their house for a day without someone who's technically not family coming over to eat with them. And that's just it, their view of family is so large and encompassing that people feel immediately loved and welcomed by them. They're the family who are letting me borrow their car this summer - the nicest car that they own which also has the lowest mileage. They give the best hugs, laugh til they get wheezy, and seek to love others as unconditionally as Jesus would. These guys are so special that it's hard to put it into words. I'm so thankful to be a part of their lives and that they're a part of mine.

I met this family a couple of days after the Doherty's in August of 2009. Throughout my relationship with Bernard, any time that I came to Worcester in order to visit, they're the family who adopted me. They would convert their study, which was used daily, into a bedroom for me - thus forcing Pradeep to take his studies into the downstairs family room. Pradeep and Sunita are from India and have really cool accents and habits because of the location of their upbringings. Their two girls are Kathy - a responsible, imaginative 8 year old and Judith - who's finally warmed up to me just in time for me to leave and lose it all.;) I love this family so much! I love how they have tea time and that Sunita doesn't get flustered by details. I love how Pradeep is super disciplined in his studies in order to be a more usable vessel and Sunita gladly shoulders the extra responsibilities that occur because of his studies. I love how this family loves spending time together and will incorporate anyone into the family activities who might enjoy the fun or would benefit from the encouragement. I love the traditional Indian food and the coffee. (I learned to love coffee from Sunita.) I love how they consistently have people into their home and aren't afraid of mixing groups of people who may not normally combine. I love how joyful they are in their service, and I love watching them love other people well. Every time I spend time with them, I leave their house feeling encouraged and refreshed.
For starters, let me explain the picture that I have of Janet and Steve. I asked them last Sunday if I could get a picture of them together and for one reason or another, it just didn't happen. Then, Steve went out of town for a couple of days. The result is that I took a picture of this framed picture that Steve has on his desk. This couple is the couple who have welcomed me into their home this summer even though we probably had one conversation lasting about a minute prior to my coming in June. The reason that they were willing to take me in? They wanted to be supportive of Bernard and take the opportunity to serve him well since they go to church together. Janet and Steve are both very laid back people who have given me freedom to plan my day in the way that sounds best and gives me the most time with Bernard. But it's obvious to me that despite being pretty laid back about most things, they do feel at least partially responsible for my well-being as evidenced by the fact that Steve waited up one night when I came home later than expected because I had lost track of time. They've served Bernard and myself quietly by sharing their home, food, and company these past six weeks without expecting anything in return.
This last family I met through work. Jen (on the right) was my co-teacher as well as the lead teacher at my site this summer. She and her family took me in by having me over to their house for "planning" (which really turned into watching The World Cup and eating NE grinders) and then taking me to Jen's parents' house on a different day for "planning" (which really turned into eating NE grinders - love those things - and talking about our families). Jen would recommend local hang out spots, bring in local cuisine for me that I "just had to have while I was in MA", and share stories from her life. Jen was someone who consistently went above and beyond in her position, handled a lot of stressful situations in stride, and was continually thinking of what was best for the students. She always did what she said she would do, and she reminded me that when you're teaching, you really have to look at the people you're teaching and not just curriculum. Though, she modeled what it meant to truly have a healthy balance between those two things. I honestly believe that this next year of teaching third grade will look different (in a positive way) because I got to work so closely with Jen this summer.
So, as this summer comes to a close and I begin to think about going back to NC on Saturday, starting to teach again, and even what kind of activities I will choose to be a part of this next year, I can't but help take pieces of these people with me. Indeed, my life has been touched by their lives, and they have all left me slightly changed. I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment